TSU launches Museo-Archivo Tarlaqueño
Tarlac State University held the inauguration and blessing of the Museo-Archivo Tarlaqueño on July 12, 2019 at the College of Engineering and Technology grounds of the TSU Main Campus.
The launching was organized by the TSU Records and Archives Unit headed by Ms. Victoria G. Seguira and the Center for Tarlaqueño Studies with its head and renowned historian Dr. Lino L. Dizon.
The event was led by TSU President Dr. Myrna Q. Mallari along with the vice presidents of the university.
Key personalities in the province and city as well as the former officials of the university graced the event. Included among the guests of honor are Atty. Carlito David, Tarlac Province Vice Governor; Dr. Krishna Buenaventura, representative of Governor Susan Yap; Mr. Rhonie Dela Cruz of Bamban Museum; Mr. Wilfredo Toldanes from the Tarlac City Tourism Council; Ms. Marisa Vidad from Capas Tourism Council; Hon. Arsenio Lugay III, Tarlac Province Tourism Officer; and esteemed TSU retirees Dr. Dolores Matias, former TSU President; Dr. Dalisay Rigor, former TSU Vice President for Administration; and TSU Professor Emeritus Dr. Leodegardo Pruna and Prof. Rufina Garcia.
Also, in attendance to the inauguration are the members of the administrative and academic council, faculty, staff, and student representatives.
Meanwhile, the blessing of the building was facilitated by Rev. Fr. Jowi Driz Mendoza of the San Sebastian Cathedral.
The structure where the museum stands is a restoration of the Manual Trade Building built in 1909. In 1955, the said building was demolished and rebuilt into the present structure.
According to Dr. Dizon, some parts of the structure were changed like the glass, wood, and coppice but he reassured the audience that “we retained the spirit.”
In addition, President Mallari recounted in her welcome remarks that the area where the museum is located was once a vocational building of TSU, particularly in woodworking.
“We should not remove or change this building because this is already part of our history,” Dr. Mallari added.
In his opening remarks during the short program, Dr. Glenard T. Madriaga, Vice President for Administration and Finance, emphasized the importance of having a sense of historicity through the museum.
VP Madriaga said that the structure would serve as a place which encapsulates the past of TSU and will serve as a guide to where the institution is headed.
Gov. Yap’s message, delivered by representative Dr. Buenaventura, revolved around the Museo-Archivo Tarlaqueño serving as a structural reminder among Tarlaqueños about the rich culture and amalgam of the Province of Tarlac.
She added, “The structure is a great time to look back at our collective aspiration of moving ahead towards achievement of progress.”
Dr. Brigido Corpuz, who hosted the event, shared that he learned from Dr. Dizon that the term museum came from the latin word musea which means “place of the learned.” He also concluded that people who love to visit museums are intelligent and smart people. Corpuz differentiated the term archives from the term museum. He emphasized a museum contains item and pieces which have a lasting interest and value, whereas the archives consist of public records and other historical documents. [Jazzel Llaneli Manalo-Manabat & Maria Adelaida D. Calayag]